The following list of people loosely comprises the “ecosystem modelling team” at the Hawkesbury Institute for the Environment. We work closely with the other research scientists at HIE, with the goal of building from experimental data to develop truly evidence-based models that can predict forest ecosystem function.
- Professor Belinda Medlyn (moved to HIE in 2015 from Macquarie University)
- Dr Remko Duursma, Senior Lecturer
- Dr Mingkai Jiang is developing models of nutrient cycling processes in forest ecosystems
- Dr Kashif Mahmud is using data assimilation to quantify carbon allocation to storage in tree species
- Jinyan Yang (primary supervisor Belinda Medlyn) is attempting to understand controls on leaf area index
- Alexis Renchon (primary supervisor Elise Pendall) is working on the Cumberland Plain eddy covariance flux site
- Dushan Kumarathunge (primary supervisor Belinda Medlyn) is working on modelling temperature impacts on photosynthesis and growth
- Ximeng Li (primary supervisor David Tissue) is working on vulnerability of NSW tree species to drought
- Zineb Choury (primary supervisor Kristine Crous) is studying temperature responses in tropical Australian trees
- Elisa Stefaniak (primary supervisor Belinda Medlyn) is working on plant resource allocation strategies
- Dr Martin De Kauwe Post-doc extraordinaire, Martin worked on two ARC-funded projects studying elevated CO2 responses and drought mortality. In 2017 he is joining the ARC Centre of Excellence for Climate System Science
- Dr Yaojie Lu completed his PhD in 2017 under the supervision of Dr Remko Duursma. Thesis: Optimal and competitive stomatal behaviour.
- Dr Courtney Campany completed his PhD in 2016 under the supervision of Dr Remko Duursma. Thesis: Resource allocation in Eucalyptus. Court is now a post-doc with Eddie Watkins at Colgate University
- Dr Otavio Campoe (Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Brazil) visited Jan-Feb 2017 to work with Dr Remko Duursma on a project to parameterize MAESPA model using an awesome dataset from a multi-site experimental network of Eucalyptus plantations across Brazil.
- Dr Katrin Fleischer (Sao Paolo State University, Brazil) visited us Dec 2016 to collaborate on modelling Amazon FACE
- Professor Chris Williams (Clarke University, MA) visited us on sabbatical Sept 2015 – June 2016
- PhD student Juergen Knauer (Max Planck Institute, Jena) visited for 3 months in 2016 to work on modelling canopy water use efficiency
Past PhD students (Macquarie University)
- Sofia Baig (completed 2015) Thesis: Elevated CO2 effects on vegetation: informing modelling through meta-analysis and targeted experiments.
- Shuangxi Zhou (completed 2014) Thesis: Quantifying and modelling the responses of leaf gas exchange to drought. Shuangxi is now a post-doctoral researcher at CSIRO in Adelaide.
- Jeff Kelly (completed 2013) Thesis: Productivity and water use of Australian tree species under climate change. Jeff is now a post-doctoral researcher at U Alberta in Canada.
- Ashehad Ali (completed 2012) Thesis: Modelling elevated carbon dioxide impacts on plant competition. Ashehad did a post-doc at Los Alamos National Labs and is now at Harvard working in Paul Moorcroft’s lab.
- Silvia Dezi (completed 2011, co-tutelle, University of Bologna) Thesis: Modelling the effects of nitrogen deposition and carbon dioxide enrichment on forest carbon balance
Past visitors (Macquarie University)
- Stephen Sitch (2013) University of Exeter, U.K.
- Soenke Zaehle (2013) MPI Jena, Germany
- Anthony Walker (2013) Oak Ridge National Labs, USA
- Lina Mercado (2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014) University of Exeter, U.K.
- Thomas Aubier (2013) Intern, Ecole Normale Superieure, France
- Mikko Peltoniemi (2011) University of Helsinki, Finland
- Virginie Moreaux (2010) University of Bordeaux II, France
- Lasse Tarvainen (2010) University of Gothenburg, Sweden