The following list of people loosely comprises the “ecosystem modelling team” at the Hawkesbury Institute for the Environment. We work closely with the other research scientists at HIE, with the goal of building from experimental data to develop truly evidence-based models that can predict forest ecosystem function.
- Professor Belinda Medlyn (moved to HIE in February 2015 from Macquarie University)
- Dr Remko Duursma, Senior Lecturer
- Dr Martin De Kauwe is currently working on predicting the risk of drought mortality in Australian tree species
- Dr Courtney Campany is working on allometry of nursery tree stock with Dr Remko Duursma and Prof. Mark Tjoelker
- Dr Kashif Mahmud is using data assimilation to quantify carbon allocation to storage in tree species
- Dr Mingkai Jiang is working on developing models for Australian forest species
- Jinyan Yang (primary supervisor Belinda Medlyn) is attempting to understand controls on leaf area index
- Yaojie Lu (primary supervisor Remko Duursma) is modelling optimal stomatal behaviour during drought
- Alexis Renchon (primary supervisor Elise Pendall) is working on the Cumberland Plain eddy covariance flux site
- Dushan Kumarathunge (primary supervisor Belinda Medlyn) is working on modelling temperature impacts on photosynthesis and growth
- Ximeng Li (primary supervisor David Tissue) is working on vulnerability of NSW tree species to drought
- Dr Otavio Campoe (Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Brazil) visited Jan-Feb 2017 to work with Dr Remko Duursma on a project to parameterize MAESPA model using an awesome dataset from a multi-site experimental network of Eucalyptus plantations across Brazil.
- Katrin Fleischer (Sao Paolo State University, Brazil) visited us Dec 2016 to collaborate on modelling Amazon FACE
- Professor Chris Williams (Clarke University, MA) visited us on sabbatical Sept 2015 – June 2016
- PhD student Juergen Knauer (Max Planck Institute, Jena) visited for 3 months in 2016 to work on modelling canopy water use efficiency
Past PhD students (Macquarie University)
- Sofia Baig (completed 2015) Thesis: Elevated CO2 effects on vegetation: informing modelling through meta-analysis and targeted experiments.
- Shuangxi Zhou (completed 2014) Thesis: Quantifying and modelling the responses of leaf gas exchange to drought. Shuangxi is now a post-doctoral researcher at CSIRO in Adelaide.
- Jeff Kelly (completed 2013) Thesis: Productivity and water use of Australian tree species under climate change. Jeff is now a post-doctoral researcher at U Alberta in Canada.
- Ashehad Ali (completed 2012) Thesis: Modelling elevated carbon dioxide impacts on plant competition. Ashehad did a post-doc at Los Alamos National Labs and is now at Harvard working in Paul Moorcroft’s lab.
- Silvia Dezi (completed 2011, co-tutelle, University of Bologna) Thesis: Modelling the effects of nitrogen deposition and carbon dioxide enrichment on forest carbon balance
Past visitors (Macquarie University)
- Stephen Sitch (2013) University of Exeter, U.K.
- Soenke Zaehle (2013) MPI Jena, Germany
- Anthony Walker (2013) Oak Ridge National Labs, USA
- Lina Mercado (2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014) University of Exeter, U.K.
- Thomas Aubier (2013) Intern, Ecole Normale Superieure, France
- Mikko Peltoniemi (2011) University of Helsinki, Finland
- Virginie Moreaux (2010) University of Bordeaux II, France
- Lasse Tarvainen (2010) University of Gothenburg, Sweden